Many history buffs are familiar with the “Treaty of Tordesillas” of 1494, which divided the newly discovered lands outside of Europe between Spain and Portugal. Ever wonder how roughly half the population of South America speaks Spanish and the other half speaks Portuguese, and how the land is pretty much divided equally in half by Spanish speaking countries and Portuguese speaking countries… the “Treaty of Tordesillas” established the framework for that to occur. Few people are familiar with the Treaty of the Horse, or the “Tratado Del Pardo.” In 1778, the Queen of Portugal and the King of Spain agreed to further divide new lands in order to make up for not following the earlier “Treaty of Todesillas.” Portugal gave a few islands off the coast of west Africa to Spain. One of these Islands is Bioko, formerly called Fernando Po under the Portuguese. The Island was home to the Bubi Tribe when the Portuguese arrived and now makes up part of the country of Equatorial Guinea. The Portuguese “gave” the island to the Spanish in 1778 and that is why Equatorial Guinea is the only country in Africa where Spanish is the official language.
Above, the Bay of Luba, looking south near the landing site of the Spanish in 1778.
Below, a few pictures of the monument commemorating the arrival of the Spanish on the island of Fernando Po, called Bioko now by the government of Equatorial Guinea.
Below, the inscription on the monument, look closely at the “old Spanish.”